Comprehensive Approach to Estate Planning
I founded Thompson Law Office PLLC in 2006 because I wanted to work with individual clients and provide high-quality estate planning and administration services in the Nashville area. At Thompson Law Office PLLC, we help our clients plan for the future and protect what they value, whether it is the financial security of family members or their own independence and financial well-being. Most goals can be accomplished by means of Wills, trusts and powers of attorney.
We help clients navigate the Probate Court system after the death of a loved one. We provide a comprehensive and personalized approach to estate planning and administration that allows clients to confidently plan for the future. Our office is conveniently located on Harding Pike, close to residential neighborhoods of Green Hills, Belle Meade, Hillwood, West Meade and Bellevue. We are happy to make home visits to clients on request.
I have been an estate planning and probate attorney since 1987. In opening my law office in 2006, I saw an opportunity to combine my experience in social work, estate planning, probate and financial planning. I draw on all these experiences in providing a personalized service of planning for my clients’ future financial security and for the financial security of their loved ones.
I was born and grew up in Nashville, Tennessee in a family that has been here for generations. I attended schools in Nashville’s Green Hills neighborhood, and after college I moved away from Nashville for 20 years. In that time, I earned a graduate degree in Developmental Psychology and a law degree. Before going to law school, I worked in a Head Start program and a program for battered women in upstate New York. I also spent time travelling, including bicycling around the south island of New Zealand, trekking to the hill tribes of northern Thailand and working on a kibbutz in Israel. After law school in Chicago, I worked for large law firms in Cincinnati, Chicago, Oakland and Pittsburgh. I returned to Nashville in 1994 with my husband and infant daughter. Working in a bank estate settlement department in Nashville for 10 years gave me the opportunity to learn about the local probate system and to become a Certified Financial Planner™.
Having a solo practice has been a rewarding choice for me as an attorney. I enjoy the freedom and flexibility of a solo practice. It is a pleasure getting to know my clients and helping them develop appropriate plans to protect themselves and their families. I am grateful to the clients who entrust me with their planning.
- J.D. Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, IL, 1987
- M.A. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1978 – Developmental Psychology
- B.A. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC, Phi Beta Kappa, 1973
- Opened private law office as M. Allison Thompson, Attorney at Law, in 2006, focusing primarily on wills, trusts, estate planning, and estate administration.
- Earned designations as Certified Trust and Financial Advisor and Certified Financial Planner™.
- Vice President and Trust Officer, Sun Trust Bank, Nashville, TN, 1996-2006, where she administrated decedent’s estates and consulted with clients on estate planning
- Thorp, Reed & Armstrong in Pittsburgh, PA
- Larson & Burnham in Oakland, CA
- Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal in Chicago, IL
- Taft, Stettinius and Hollister in Cincinnati, OH
- Psychology and social work positions from 1974 – 1983
- 1995 -Admitted to Bar in state of Tennessee
- 1993 -Admitted to Bar in state of Pennsylvania (now inactive)
- 1992 -Admitted to Bar in state of California (resigned in 2004)
- 1990 -Admitted to Bar in state of Illinois (now inactive)
- 1987 -Admitted to Bar in state of Ohio (now inactive)
Professional Association Memberships:
- Nashville Bar Association – Estate Planning and Probate Committees
- Nashville Estate Planning Council
- Tennessee Bar Association – Estate Planning & Probate Section, Elder law Section
- Lawyers Association for Women, Marion Griffin Chapter
- Financial Planning Association of Middle Tennessee
- Planned Giving Council of Middle Tennessee
- Travellers Rest Historic House and Museum
- Guardianship and Trust Corporation of Tennessee (former Board member)
Legal Services Offered
Drafting of the following documents, personalized to your situation and the needs of your family:
- Last Will and Testament
- Revocable Trust or Living Trust
- Trusts for Minors
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- Living Wills or Advance Care Plans
- Durable Powers of Attorney for financial and business matters
- Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
Representation of Executors and Administrators in the probate and administration of decedent’s estates.
Conservatorships –representation of family members seeking to be appointed as conservator, service as Guardian Ad Litem
Elder Law –representation of senior clients in estate planning, disability planning, planning for long term care and health care financing